Sunday, July 21, 2013

Media Consumption Log: The Cell

I remember watching this in the movie theatre, because I was asucker for anything that promised Virtual Reality.  I remember thinking that the breathing noises made by the people next to me meant they were there for the scantily clad J-Lo scenes.  When Kate brought it home from the Disc Go Round out of the $2 bin, I was surprised.  Today, it reads like murder-melodrama;  in a certain sense, Criminal Minds (another of Kate's favorite shows) has given use better insights into the fantasy worlds of fantasy murderers.  And Virtual Reality, write large, is now the stuff of every movie -- every movie is a virtual reality adventure.

So in the end, this movie feels as locked in the 1990s as it no doubt was at the time of release.

No comments: