Institution: Stephen F. Austin State University
Location: Nacogdoches, TX
* Faculty - Liberal Arts - English and Literature
Application Due: Open Until Filled
Type: Full Time
Posting Number: 0600272
Position Type: Faculty
Department: ENGLISH & PHILOSOPHY
This is a full-time, nine-month, tenure-track faculty position responsible for contributing significantly to Stephen F. Austin State University's undergraduate and/or graduate programs through teaching, scholarship/creative accomplishment, and service. Works under minimal supervision, with extensive latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. This is a security-sensitive position. Reports to the Chair.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Performs an equivalent of eight teaching units of work (three credit hour course equals one teaching unit) during the regular academic year.
2. Engages in research/scholarly/creative and service activities at levels that are appropriate to faculty rank and departmental tenure/merit criteria.
3. Provides services to the university and the profession.
4. Participates in promotion review of lower-ranked faculty within the department.
5. When tenured, participates in tenure review of candidates for tenure.
6. May conduct supplemental instructional activities such as, independent studies, internships, advising, and thesis/dissertation supervision.
Non-Essential Job Functions:
1. May receive course load reassignment when assigned administrative duties in support of the department/college/university.
2. May receive course load reassignment when assigned to prepare course material during the first semester/year when included as part of initial contract.
3. May receive course load reassignment when approved to conduct research/scholarly/creative accomplishment and service which exceed normal expectations.
4. May supervise the work of student and/or graduate assistants.
5. May serve on departmental, college and university committees.
6. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Extensive knowledge in the field in which the individual will be teaching.
2. Ability to effectively teach undergraduate and/or graduate students.
3. Ability and commitment to conduct research and/or scholarly/creative accomplishments and service.
4. Ability to work within a collaborative faculty environment.
5. Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
6. Ability to work effectively and patiently with students.
Terminal degree in the field in which the individual will be teaching is required. ABD candidates may be considered if Ph.D. is earned prior to start date.
Experience and Training:
The rank of Assistant Professor is held by an individual who demonstrates the capability to produce research/creative accomplishments, teach effectively, and provide service to the academic and general communities.
Work Hours: 12 hours instruction; 10 hours office
Special Instructions: Send copies of transcripts, a writing sample consisting of multiple excerpts of professional and scholarly writing totaling no more than 25-30 pages, and three current letters of recommendation directly to Dr. Mark Sanders, Chair, Department of English, Stephen F. Austin State University, PO Box 13007, SFA Station, Nacogdoches, TX 75962-3007
Minimum Pay Rate: $45,000-$46,000
Specific Job Requirements for this Posting: The Department of English at Stephen F. Austin State University seeks a writing specialist for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Technical and Professional Writing or Composition/Rhetoric. Responsibilities include teaching undergraduate and graduate courses in technical and professional writing and editing, digital rhetoric, and/or rhetoric and writing, as well as freshman composition courses. This position will be key in helping to develop our recently-approved technical and professional writing minor.
The ideal candidate will have a Ph.D. in Technical and Professional Writing, Rhetoric and Composition, or a closely related field, along with several years of writing or editing experience in business or another professional field, significant experience using publishing and design software, and a record of scholarship and publication in technical and professional writing or rhetoric and composition. Experience in specialized areas/genres, such as science, policy, grant, or proposal writing is highly desirable. The standard load is 4-4 with opportunities for research and service-related reductions.
SFASU is a comprehensive university with an enrollment of more than 12,000 students, located in the East Texas Piney Woods region. Candidates must apply via the SFASU online application system. Please submit letter of application and CV at: https://careers.sfasu.edu. Send copies of transcripts, a writing sample consisting of multiple excerpts of professional and scholarly writing totaling no more than 25-30 pages, and three current letters of recommendation directly to Dr. Mark Sanders, Chair, Department of English, Stephen F. Austin State University, PO Box 13007, SFA Station, Nacogdoches, TX 75962-3007. Review of applications begins January 20, 2010; position open until filled.
Contact Name(s): Dr. Mark Sanders, Chair
Dr. Steven Marsden, Search Committee Chair
Contact Phone/Extension: (936) 468-2319
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Fax: (936) 468-2614
Contact: Stephen F. Austin State University
Online App. Form: https://careers.sfasu.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=50779&jtsrc=www.high eredjobs.com&jtrfr=www.peopleadmin.com&adorig=PA
6 hours ago