Monday, October 05, 2009

77.4

The job market.

A colleague emailed me to ask why I'm posting job ads on my blog. I've done so for two years now, for three reasons.

1. MA students at my own institution have no access to the MLA job list, and so don't know the richness that awaits them if they pursue my field.

2. Friends in doctoral programs without the internet savvy that I possess have, in years past, found that I unearth jobs without trying that they can't find with effort.

3. I have small side-bets running about the health of the job market this year. I am winning; the market looks good enough.

The jobs I post are in rhetorical studies, broadly defined, and most are waaaaay outside my interest or expertise. But it is interesting, I think, and useful. This blog is about useful.

David

No comments: